What am I invited to?
You are invited to participate in an international discussion forum held in conjunction with EcoHealth2012 and the ecohealth-live that will facilitate offsite participation during the conference. The forum will profile and discuss key questions about the role of ecohealth in relation to a range of global processes addressing health, ecology and sustainability challenges. The forum is also linked to the development of the EcoHealth2012 Kunming Statement.
When and Where?
Anyone can participate from wherever they are in the world! The moderated discussion forum has been scheduled at 8pm in Kunming (CST) to facilitate off-site participation from as many time-zones as possible. To confirm your time zone, use www.timeanddate.com or follow this link: EcoHealth2012 International Discussion Forum –Live! in your Time-zone…
How do I Connect and Participate?
Register at http://www.ecohealth-live.net to receive access to the moderated Discussion Forum using Blackboard Collaborate.
- hear and see the Discussion Forum panelists below ;
- post questions to the panelists via a moderated Webinar chat function;
- use the webinar chat function to share your ideas with others around the world
What is the Program?
The 90-minute moderated discussion forum will include brief panel contributions from delegates at EcoHealth2012, followed by responses from discussants in Brazil and India. The floor will then be opened for questions and discussion from around the world.
Welcome and overview: Margot Parkes (President, IAEH)
EcoHealth2012 in the context of other international events: Jonathan Patz (Past President IAEH, Coordinating Lead Author, Our Planet, Our Health, Our Future)
Links with the EcoHealth2012 Conference Statement: Pierre Horwitz, Founding Board member IAEH, Coordinating Lead Author, Our Planet, Our Health, Our Future, Thematic Lead “Healthy Wetlands: Healthy People” Ramsar Convention on Wetlands;)
- Carlos Corvalan (Pan-American Health Organization/ World Health Organization, Coordinating Lead Author: “Ecosystems and Human Wellbeing: Health Synthesis, Millennium Ecosystem Assessment”, and Coordinating Lead Author, Our Planet, Our Health, Our Future)
- Contribution from Convention on Biological Diversity 11th Conference of Parties (Live from COP meeting in Hyderabad, India)
Responses and contributions from ecohealth-live participants and attendees at EcoHealth2012.
Ecohealth-live discussion portals will enable ongoing discussion during the conference.
Why this Forum, now?
In addition to EcoHealth2012, this year is also ‘host’ to:
- Rio+20 United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development (June 20-22, 2012), including a series of activities focused on Health and Sustainable Development;
- The publication of “Our Planet, Our Health, Our Future” (June 2012), focused on Human Health and the Rio Conventions: Biological Diversity, Climate Change, and Desertification;
- The 1st Regional Workshop on Human Health and Biodiversity in the Americas, (September 4-5, 2012) co-hosted by the United Nations Convention on Biological Diversity and PAHO;
- The Eleventh meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity (including a focus on Biodiversity and Health), Hyderabad, India (8-19 Oct 2012);
- Planning for the 2nd international One Health Congress "A World United Against Infectious Diseases: Cross Sectorial Solutions" (28 January to 2 Feb, 2013)
The number and extent of global processes linking ecology and health raises important questions for the field of ecohealth and the Association. This discussion forum will provide an opportunity to identify synergies and opportunities among these initiatives and to ask:
- What is the role of the IAEH and ecohealth in the context of these processes?
- How can IAEH best engage with international processes in a way that progresses the mission of the Association: “to strive for sustainable health of people, wildlife and ecosystems by promoting discovery, understanding and transdisciplinarity?”
- How can the International Association for Ecology & Health best engage with and add-value to international processes already underway?
The themes and outcomes from this Discussion Forum will:
- inform the finalization of the EcoHealth2012 Kunming Statement;
- feed into strategic discussions and planning by the Board of the International Association for Ecology & Health;
- provide the basis for ongoing discussion on the EcoHealth Student Section Blog
- inform planning for future IAEH Conferences and Activities.
To confirm your time zone for this event, click on the link below:
EcoHealth2012 International Discussion Forum –Live! in your Time-zone…
Some examples of time-zones to connect to 8pm Kunming time
- 5am Pacific Time
- 8am New York
- 7am Mexico, Winnipeg
- 9am Brasilia/Atlantic Canada/Argentina
- 12 noon Ghana
- 1pm UK
- 2pm Switzerland, Zimbabwe, Egypt
- 3pm Kenya